Thursday 22 November 2012

Review of a Berghaus Freeflow 20 rucksack


This is a review of a Berghaus rucksack, which we were kindly sent by Berghaus.

 

I currently use an Osprey atmos 35 as my main day sack, so found the Berghaus Freeflow 20 quite small in comparison. Due to Colin currently recovering from an ankle infection, we took the rucksack out on a short day walk round Dunham Massey, where the size was adequate to carry both our lunches (not sure how that happened, something about me having the new rucksack so I’d have to carry everything!), a spare hat and my Paramo jacket, but there wasn’t much space left over. Had we been out for our usual full Sunday walk e.g. on Kinder, I might have struggled with the size, particularly in winter when carrying extra spare clothes etc. However, during the summer when using lightweight waterproofs etc. this size would be fine.

 

Likes        


-       The back of the rucksack is curved, giving a clear gap between the rucksack and your back. While I didn’t feel much benefit from this in the cold last weekend, this will be really useful come the summer. In the last few day sacks I’ve bought, I’ve deliberately chosen models that have similar back systems.
Curved Back
 

-       There was nice padding on the shoulder straps, but with meshed areas in them, which again should help to keep me cool during the summer.

-       There was ample padding in the waist band
 

-       It’s a nice light sack

-       There are 2 external open mesh pockets, for bottles etc. The opening for these is on the side, rather than the more usual top opening, which I found made it easier to get water bottles out while wearing the rucksack.

-       Internal pocket to take a water reservoir, and hole to put drinking tube through

Dislikes

-       I prefer a larger day sack, but think this will be much better as a summer sack

-       While the side opening of the external side pockets made them easier to access, I did find that when I put my flask in one of these pockets I could then feel this against my back when I was walking. However, I didn’t have this problem with my water bottle.

 
Flask Too Big

-       The only zipped pocket was a large pocket across the front of the rucksack, accessed by a vertical zip. However once I’d put my Paramo etc. inside the main rucksack, I found this zipped pocked awkward to access and I couldn’t fit much in it. I would have preferred a smaller zipped pocket somewhere for keeping money, keys etc. in

Summary

This is a good lightweight basic rucksack. I think for me it is more of a summer rucksack and I look forward to trying it out in warmer weather when I think its curved back system and meshed padded straps will really come in useful. 

         

2 comments:

  1. My favourite has to be the Herschel little American rucksack. Check it out...
    http://rueduchatquipeche.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/design-little-american-mountain-bag-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favourite has to be the Herschel little American rucksack. Check it ... rucksackherschel.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete